For Section 3.3 / Department 3 “Earth Surface Geochemistry” we invite applications for a
PhD position (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 0642
The PhD position is part of the ERC-funded project “Climate Sensitivity of Glacial Landscape Dynamics (COLD)”, headed by Jun. Prof. Dirk Scherler. The main aim of COLD is to quantify how erosion rates in glacial landscapes vary with climate change and how such changes affect the dynamics of mountain glaciers. The COLD-team will consist of 3 PhD students, 1 postdoc researcher, and the PI D. Scherler.
- quantify ice-free hillslope erosion rates with cosmogenic nuclides in medial moraines
- fieldwork at high altitudes in glacial landscapes of the European Alps
- survey (UAV) the medial moraines of several glaciers
- collect and process sediment samples for the analysis of cosmogenic nuclides
- present results at international conferences and in scientific publications
- work in a team with other PhD students, postdocs, and staff
- a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Geo- or other related sciences
- interest/experience in surface processes/geomorphology and glaciology
- field and lab experience
- programming skills
- good physical condition (skiing experience advantageous)
- fluent in spoken and written English
Starting date: 1st August 2018 or by agreement
Fixed term: 3 years (optional 6 month extension)
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be into pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application by 2nd Mai 2018.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.