The Université de Sherbrooke is seeking candidates for a regular, full-time faculty position in the Department of Microbiology and Infectiology of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
We seek candidates with a PhD in microbiology or a related field and whose expertise will complement and build upon expertise and research themes within our Department. The Department is particularly interested in candidates developing research programs exploring the microbiome, host-pathogen interactions (including viruses), antibiotic development/resistance and/or bacterial or viral pathogenesis. The committee will also consider outstanding applicants with other expertise complementary to the strengths currently present in our Department.
The Department is composed of 8 professors working in the basic biomedical sciences and 10 clinical professors. Being located on the Health Campus, next to the university hospital and clinical research center, our research environment is ideal to conduct projects involving clinical samples and patients. Our researchers also have access to multiple technological platforms in microscopy and imaging, mass spectrometry, high throughput sequencing, as well as state-of-the-art animal facilities. Our department has built a strong expertise in RNA biology (small RNAs, telomerase, splicing) and cancer (colorectal, breast and ovarian), leading to the development of a dynamic academic and technical infrastructure (e.g. RiboClub, RNomics platform, Cancer research axis). Hence, applicants that can link these fields with their research program will have strong opportunities for synergy. Possibilities of creating additional collaborations across the faculty and university also exist since research projects in bacteriology and virology are also conducted in the Department of Biochemistry and Biology (Faculty of Science).
UNIVERSITY‘S COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The University is committed to making a priority of these values as strategic factors of excellence. This commitment is stated in the University’s Plan d’action d’équité pour les programmes interorganismes (2017–2022).The University invites all qualified individuals to apply, in particular, women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities under the Programme d’accès à l’égalité en emploi (PAEE). The selection tools can be adapted, with an assurance of complete confidentiality, to the needs of persons with disabilities who so request. The University also encourages individuals of all sexual orientations and gender identities to apply. Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The Université de Sherbrooke is a French-speaking institution renowned for its human dimension, its innovative operating style and its partnering with professionals. The Université de Sherbrooke is host to more than 31,000 students (from 97 countries and territories worldwide), and another 11,000 students are registered at the University of the Third Age. There are 6,800 employees at the Université de Sherbrooke
PRINCIPAL CHALLENGES AND DUTIES
- Teach at all graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Supervise graduate and doctoral students.
- Develop fundamental and applied research activities and maintain a competitive externally funded research program and to obtain salary support (scholarship) from national or provincial sources.
- Take part in university life.
- Contribute to community service.
- Hold a PhD and/or MD degree in microbiology or a related field.
- Have completed a postdoctoral fellowship of at least 2 years in a university.
- Hold an expertise in the fields indicated.
- Have a marked interest in university pedagogy and teaching as well as for research, development, and innovation.
- Demonstrate qualities of leadership and initiative as well as outstanding skills in communicating and effectively and harmoniously interacting with various internal and external partners.
- Have a publication record in peer-reviewed journals testifying to an excellent research record.
- Demonstrate skills in establishing and maintaining good interpersonal relations, a sense of collaboration, and teamwork skills.
- The successful candidate must be able to teach in French or be able to do so in short order.
Anticipated start date: January or September 2019.
Review of applications will begin no later than June 1st, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Check our website for the full description of all our job opportunities, then submit your application online. For this opportunity, see offer 03097.
We encourage you to submit your application electronically by clicking on “POSTULER.”
Please attach your curriculum vitae and a research-program proposal (maximum 2 pages). In addition, please have three (3) letters of recommendation sent directly by the signatories to the following:
Deadline: June 01, 2018