A PhD scholarship opportunity is available to conduct research into the psychological, social, ethical and interpersonal aspects of healthcare. Australian or international applicants welcome from any relevant discipline including healthcare, sociology, ethics or applied philosophy. The PhD candidate will be located at the School of Health and Social Sciences at The University of Queensland.
An exciting opportunity exists for students wishing to pursue a doctoral degree in the area of the social aspects of healthcare. In particular, the project investigates the care of adult chronic pain (low back pain).
Prospective applicants will have a strong interest in the social, ethical and/or philosophical aspects of healthcare. The project will require participants to work closely and sensitively with participants including practicing clinicians and people with low back pain. While the position involves working on an existing project, there will be opportunities for the successful applicant to tailor their involvement to suit their own areas of interest.
Applicants should possess qualifications in relevant disciplines. You should also have a strong desire to develop a successful and highly-productive research career in the sociology/philosophy of health and the capacity to work with multidisciplinary research teams.
- Applicants should possess a bachelor with honours or masters, or equivalent degree with distinguished academic records and/or relevant research or industry experience.
- Applicants should be able to enrol full-time in the doctoral training program.
- Applicants should have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work effectively within multidisciplinary healthcare settings.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate an interest in the social aspects of healthcare.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate the ability to understand and develop skills in applied participatory research and qualitative methodologies.
- Applicants should have excellent scientific writing and communication skills
- Applicants should be highly self-motivated and able to work independently
The University of Queensland values diversity and inclusion and actively encourages applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Please refer to the University’s Diversity and Inclusion webpage (https://staff.uq.edu.au/information-and-services/human-resources/diversity) for further information and points of contact if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must meet the requirements for admission into the UQ Graduate School PhD program (https://graduate-school.uq.edu.au/uq-research-degrees).
The selected student will be awarded a full scholarship for tuition fees (if international) and receive a living allowance valued at AUD$27,596 per annum (2019 rate, indexed annually) tax-free for three years with two possible six-month extensions in approved circumstances. This role is a full-time position; however flexible working arrangements may be negotiated.
Please direct inquiries about the project to Dr. Jenny Setchell email@example.com.
To submit an application for this role, use the Apply button below.
All applicants must supply the following documents:
- A cover letter that addresses how you meet the requirements for participation in the project and admission to the PhD program;
- A curriculum vitae outlining industry and/or research experience relevant to the project, including details of two referees.
- For international applicants from a non-English speaking background: evidence of meeting UQ’s English language proficiency requirements: https://graduate-school.uq.edu.au/english-language-proficiency-requirements
- Academic transcripts and award certificates for all post-secondary study undertaken, complete or incomplete, including the institution grading scale, and official translations if the original document language is not English.
Area:Faculty of Health and Behavioural Sciences
Salary (FTE):School Schol (APA Rate) NONBAND ($27,082.00 – $27,082.00)
Work type:Full Time – Scholarship
Location: St Lucia
Applications close: E. Australia Standard Time