We develop quantum electron devices based on manipulation and transfer of quantum degrees of freedom in solids. We employ quantum electron optics, where quantum states of propagating electrons are manipulated, and experiments on transfer and manipulation of novel quantum degrees of freedom in atomic-layer materials. These experiments aim to reveal physics of quantum coherence, quantum correlations, and quantum conversions, as guiding principles for quantum electron devices. We also employ state of the art quantum technologies to solve long-standing problems in condensed matter physics from microscopic points of view.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 2 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
The successful candidate will work for JST-CREST project on “Quantum control of delocalized quantum bits in semiconductors” (Head: Michihisa Yamamoto). The project is in collaboration with French partners (Head: Christopher Bäuerle, Department of Nanoscience, Institut NEEL, CNRS).
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
Salary and benefits
- (Postdoctoral Researcher) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years*1 of employment.
- (Research Scientist) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up until March 31, 2024.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee’s research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee’s contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center’s final fiscal year.
- (Research Scientist) When the Employee’s research is scheduled to be reviewed in his/her 5years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee’s abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
*Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi)
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD (56KB) or EXCEL (58KB) (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID “W18046”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievements and publications
- Abstract of your achievement (less than 5 pages in A4)
- Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (five or less pages in total, A4 sized paper)
- List of the names and contact information of two people who can evaluate your work.
- A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from someone who knows the candidate well will be accepted. The letter should include the recommender’s name, affiliation, title, phone number, E-mail address）
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
April 1st, 2019 (Negotiable)
Contact information/Send application to
Quantum Electron Device Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.