We work on developing biologically-inspired catalysts, and the construction of new energy conversion and substance production systems utilizing living organisms. Specifically, for energy and resource generation and environmental preservation, we attempt to exploit the nature’s ingenuities for catalytic reactions (such as water oxidation and CO2 reduction) and metabolic regulation by microbial extracellular electron transfer, as well as to employ robust energy management system in the deep sea environment without sunlight.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
One postdoctoral researcher
In order to pursue our research goals written above, we seek for highly motivated researcher with vitality.
The candidate should have an enough ability and experience either in Catalytic Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Computational Science, Biochemistry, or Microbiology.
Applicants must have a doctor degree, and must have expertise and experience in the abovementioned research topic.
Applicants expected to be capable of conducting his/her research independently, with sufficient English level.
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review and it is decided that the Employee’s research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee’s contract will not be renewed for FY 2023 year that would extend employment beyond the center’s final fiscal year.
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV (with photo and email address) WORD (56KB) or EXCEL (58KB)
* Write the 5 digit number beginning with “W”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievements (including publications, presentations, awards, and others)
Also attach one representative paper related to the position applied to.
- Outline of previous research achievements and outline of research plan or proposal (two pages, A4 paper)
- Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- One Letter of recommendation from the current supervisor*
*A recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the current supervisor.
*The letter should be addressed to Center for Sustainable Resource Science, Director.
- A work/research reference who can be contacted for an opinion
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Dr. Ryuhei Nakamura
Biofunctional Catalyst Research Team
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (CSRS)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email