We experimentally study atomic, molecular and optical (AMO) physics using a new approach and viewpoint, covering a wide range of field; low-energy chemical evolution of molecules in space and dynamics of large molecules from high to low temperature environment, interaction of high-energy atoms with crystals, and spectroscopy of exotic atoms including negative muon and positron. From these purposes, we develop and utilize ion storage ring and trap, high energy highly charged ion beam or muon beam supplied from accelerators, combined with a variety of laser systems.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
One Research Scientist (fixed-term position)
Experimental research on atomic, molecular and optical physics
Research scientist requires Ph.D. Candidates with wide viewpoints to a new field as well as knowledge extending over atomic, molecular and optical (AMO) physics and related fields are expected. Highly motivated candidates who bring a new method and technique into AMO physics are also welcomed, regardless of the specific background.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, with maximum term to the end of the 2020 fiscal year (March 31, 2021). However, depending on the results of re-employment review of laboratory PI, contract may be renewed either to the end of the 2025 fiscal year (March 31, 2026), or to a maximum term of 7 years (to the end of the fiscal year), whichever is earlier.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan. 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (KAKENHI) from the government.
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD (56KB) or EXCEL (58KB) (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID “W18054”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of publications
- Five selected recent publications
- Statement explaining former experience and research plans
- Two letters of recommendation including one from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
How to apply
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by November 30th.
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1st, 2019 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics Laboratory (Toshiyuki Azuma)
(2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198, Japan)
Email: toshiyuki-azuma [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.