Center for Sustainable Resource Science, which started in April 2013, is a new and limited-term research center. The Biomacromolecules Research Team and its ERATO project aim to develop peptide-mediated transformation and modification of plants and photosynthetic bacteria.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
A few Senior Research Scientist, Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
- Senior Research Scientists shall assist the leader of their team, provide instruction to other researchers, and carry out the research work of their team.
- Research Scientists shall carry out the research work of their team.
- Postdoctoral Researchers shall carry out the research work of their team to which they belong under the direction of their supervisors.
We are seeking candidate(s) who can work for bioimaging of plant cells and nano-materials in the JST-ERATO Numata Organellar Reaction Cluster Project. The successful candidates will study on DNA and protein delivery and transformation of chloroplasts and mitochondria using microorganisms such as algae and photosynthetic bacteria.
- Senior Research Scientist and Research Scientist are defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
- Generally, a successful candidate is expected to speak and write English fluently, to have knowledge and expertise in microbiology.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up until March 31, 2022.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review and it is decided that the Employee’s research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee’s contract will not be renewed for FY 2023 year that would extend employment beyond the center’s final fiscal year.
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- Complete CV WORD (56KB) or EXCEL (58KB)
*Write the open call ID “W18XXX”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- List of research achievements.
*When applying Senior Research Scientist, also attach three copies of recent paper of the research field relevant to the field of the applicant applies for.
*When applying Research Scientist of Postdoctoral Researcher, also attach one copy of recent paper of the research field relevant to the field of the applicant applies for.
- Previous research and future research plan (A4, 2 pages)
- Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- Letters of recommendation:
- – Senior Research Scientist-
Two letters of recommendation, including one from the PI of current laboratory.
One of two is preferred to be sent from a researcher who is neither a Japanese citizen nor resident.
- – Research Scientist and Postdoctoral Researcher-
A letter of recommendation from the PI of current laboratory
*A recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the PI of current laboratory.
*The letter should be addressed to Center for Sustainable Resource Science, Director.
- A work/research reference who can be contacted for an opinion
*only for a Postdoctoral Researcher-
- – Senior Research Scientist-
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to email@example.com
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Biomacromolecules Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiries, please send an email.