A vacancy for an outstanding PhD student is available in the Center for Molecular Modeling (CMM, http://molmod.ugent.be) at Ghent University. At the CMM, research at the atomic/molecular scale is performed in various hot-topic areas, ranging from CO2 capture, to material science, to biophysics and pharmaceutical biochemistry.
The PhD student will work towards a doctoral degree under supervision of Prof. An Ghysels through the doctoral schools program of Ghent University. The research encompasses molecular dynamics simulations, method development, and analysis of data. The research topic will focus on diffusion of molecules through inhomogeneous media.The methods will be applied on biophysical topics, more precisely on the study of membrane permeability for small drug molecules and anesthetics.
The student will be embedded in the CMM, which creates a motivating environment to perform research. A contribution to teaching can also be part of the job content. If the student is interested in an international research experience, visits abroad to collaborating groups during the PhD are encouraged.
Profile of the candidate
We are seeking exceptionally qualified and motivated applicants for this position. Students with high grades and research experience in their B.Sc. and M.Sc. studies are strongly preferred.
(1) The PhD student should have excellent skills in physics/mathematics/statistics (for method development),
(2) The student should have an interest in dealing with large data (computational tools for generating and analyzing data of complex molecular systems). A large experience with statistics and programming (e.g. python) is necessary.
(3) The PhD student should have (or should develop) a strong interest in statistical physics, biophysics or material physics, programming, scientific communication, assistance in teaching.
(4) Candidates should have an open attitude towards learning research skills.
(5) Language: fluency in English, good communication skills (written and oral), and sufficient social aptitude to integrate in a diverse research group.
How to apply
Send your application to prof. An Ghysels (firstname.lastname@example.org) before December 17, 2018, with the subject line: “Application for PhD position- Modeling membrane permeability” You can also contact her for additional information about the vacancy.
The application should include:
– a detailed resume (personal information with biography, education & grades, publications)
– a letter of motivation, – transcripts of B.Sc. and M.Sc. courses and grades,
– a detailed Curriculum Vitae with a complete biography,
– a list of two professors who have supervised you in your B.Sc. and/or M.Sc. research project and who are willing to provide a letter of recommendation (the letter itself has not to be sent at this point).
All documents should be in PDF format and written in English.