In 2009, the Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers was inaugurated at Kyoto University. The University appoints promising young researchers as program-specific faculty members, and supports the research activities of top level researchers from around the world, to develop visionary researchers who will pioneer new paths in their respective academic fields.
Since 2016, the Project now supports two types of appointments: Global Type and Tenure-track Type. The Tenure-track Type is a part of “the Leading Initiative for Excellent Young Researchers (LEADER)” subsidized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology in Japan (MEXT).
This Call for Applications is for the Global Type of appointment. Detailed information of the Tenure-track Type will be announced on the website of the Hakubi Center for Advanced Research.
Research projects in all fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are welcome.
Researchers with a doctoral degree (or equivalent research abilities) are eligible. All nationalities are welcome.
Those who have previously been appointed to the Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers are not eligible. It is not possible to apply for both the Global Type and Tenure-track Type appointments at the same academic year in Japan.
Around 10 applicants will be appointed.
- Selected applicants will be appointed as program-specific full-time faculty members (associate professor or assistant professor with an annual salary on limited-term contracts), in compliance with the Rules of Employment for Fixed-Term Program-Specific Faculty Members. Their salaries will be determined in accordance with the existing employment regulations of Kyoto University.
- Their affiliation will be the Hakubi Center for Advanced Research (“the Center”), Kyoto University.
- The term of appointment will begin on October 1st 2019 in principle, but can be adjusted according to the requirements of individual researchers.
- The employment term will be 5 years in principle. There can be no renewal of the appointment.
- Appointees will be eligible for MEXT mutual aid association membership, employees’ pension,employment insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.
- The Center does not have any research facilities. Accordingly, individual researchers are asked to find and negotiate with a “host” (department/division/researcher) within Kyoto University that is willing to provide suitable research facilities.
- The university will provide each researcher with an annual research fund of approximately 1 to 4 million yen, depending on some factors such as the research plans of each individual.
- These individuals will be referred to by the title of “Kyoto University Hakubi researcher” in recognition of their excellent research abilities pioneering new paths in their respective academic fields.
- Hakubi researchers will be required to prepare annual document reports on their research activities, and are also required to give presentations in a seminar style. Although self-assessment shall be implemented according to the regulations of Kyoto University, the Center does not conduct any evaluations.
- After appointment, researchers are obliged to attend Hakubi events.
- After appointment, researchers must observe the Rules of Employment for Fixed-Term Program-Specific Faculty Members, Kyoto University,
- (Primary screening)
Expert committee members formed from various research fields at the Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University will examine application documents, focusing on academic achievements and research plans.
- (Secondary screening)
The Hakuraku Council under the Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University will conduct interviews. In addition to applicants’ academic achievements, the Council will evaluate their potential to become leading figures in the future global academic community. Interviews will be held at Yoshida Campus, Kyoto University.
- (Third screening)
The Steering Committee of the Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University will make the final decision as to who is accepted as a Hakubi researcher, considering the results of interviews held by the Hakuraku Council, etc.
6.Results of Screening
Results of the screening will be sent to all applicants by e-mail.
Please note that information on the process of the screening and reasons for pass/fail will not be provided.
7.How to Apply / Deadline
- Register the applicant’s information using the form available on the website below and make your account.
- Login your account.
- Upload your proposal converted to PDF (“Proposal for the Kyoto University Hakubi Project to Foster and Support Young Researchers [Global Type]”) in your account.
- Applications will be accepted only after both the online registration and the upload of your proposal are finished.
For details, see “Guidelines for Preparing the Proposal Form” explains each section.
【Reference】Guidelines for Preparing a Proposal Form
- (Registration site) ：
- (Deadline for upload of proposal) ：
Please submit the proposal form by PDF.
13:00 (Japan time), Thursday, February 7, 2019
*We will send an acknowledgement email of your application within ten days from the deadline for uploading the proposal. If you do not receive an email from us within ten days, please contact hakubi*mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace “*” with “@”).
8.Hakubi Application Information Meeting
Information on the Hakubi Project will be provided at the meetings detailed below. Send an e-mail to the address below to register your attendance with your name, affiliation, position, contact phone number, and the location that you would like to attend in the body of the e-mail. We must receive your registration at least one day before each respective meeting. You will be able to attend the meeting without prior registration, however we may have no space for seating for those who have not registered in advance.
E-mail address for registration of Information Meeting attendance:
hakubi*mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace “*” with “@”)
Message title: Hakubi Application Information Meeting: Kyoto or Tokyo, Your name
The body of the message: Name, Affiliation, Position, Contact phone number, Location of the meeting
[Information Meeting in Kyoto]
- Date and Time: 18:00, Friday, December 21, 2018
- Place: Reserch Administration Building (#61), Kyoto University
The first basement floor , Conference Room 1, 2
[Information Meeting in Tokyo]
- Date and Time: 18:00, Thursday, January 10, 2019
- Place: The Kyoto University Tokyo Office Conference Room A, B
Please see more detailed information in the FAQ.
If you have any further questions, please contact us via e-mail.
|The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto UniversityE-mail :hakubi*mail2.adm.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace “*” with “@”.)|
- Personal information contained in the application documents will be used only for the purpose of screening applicants and the recruiting procedure, never for any other purpose without applicants’ consent.
- Expenses needed to apply for this project shall be borne by the applicants.
- Kyoto University supports a gender-equal society. We hope that many female researchers will apply for the Hakubi Project.