The faculty of Sciences has a vacancy for a professorship starting from October 1st, 2018. It concerns a part-time (10% FTE) position in the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology (WE10) charged with academic teaching, academic research and carrying out academic services in the discipline of medical biotechnology.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of medical biotechnology, at undergraduate and graduate level. The teaching and lecturing will be evaluated on actuality, connection with the educational program and interaction with the students.
You engage in research at an internationally competitive level. You seek funding to realize projects and to hire PhD students, and you act as their supervisor.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department. During your career you are willing to engage in your share of administrative duties or leadership positions.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You have demonstrable expertise in molecular medical biotechnology;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- This position implies a close cooperation with the recently founded Ghent University Global Campus (GUGC) in Korea, and assumes more specifically support of the course ‘Medical Biotechnology’ to 4rd Bachelor students at that location (this requires a stay of about 3 weeks per academic year at the GUGC). The position also implies the support of the UGent teaching assignment of the lecturer for the GUGC course Medical Biotechnology (prof. Nico Callewaert) in the subjects Biochemistry, Metabolism II, Biomolecular Production Methods and Glycobiology. These courses are taught in Dutch and English;
- The international context of this position requires a mastery of English to a level that permits teaching in English;
- Recommended are:
- International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Positively evaluated experience in provided or organized academic lecturing;
- Professionalisation of education.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You have strong interpersonal skills, making you a team player and an effective communicator with colleagues, employees, students and other stakeholders.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognized as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 1 October 2018. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
We offer you an appointment (10%) with renewable duration for a maximum of 2 years.
Pay attention: A part-time assignment of a certain degree of the professorial staff cannot be combined with a part-time assignment of a different degree of the professorial staff within the same institution.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than 1 October 2018.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Applications from women are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorization, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalization.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realization of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cover letter and the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), together with a ranking of your 5 most impactful academic achievements and a short comment on each, merged into one pdf file.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
→ Apply until 22/01/2019 23:59 CET
→ Discipline: Medical Biotechnology
→ 10% Assistant professor / Associate professor
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Reference number: 201802/WE10/003
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Nico Callewaert (Nico.Callewaert@UGent.be, +32 (0)9 331 36 30) at the faculty of Sciences, department of Biochemistry and Microbiology.