The Institute of Epidemiology (EPI) assesses genetic, environmental and lifestyle risk factors which jointly determine the occurrence of major chronic diseases. We focus on the development and progression of metabolic, respiratory and allergic diseases, as well as heart diseases and mental health. Our goal is to better understand the molecular underpinning of disease and to translate this knowledge into personalized approaches of prevention as well as policies to improve health. Our research builds on the unique resources of the KORA cohort and the birth cohorts GINI and LISA. We also play a central role in planning and setting up of the German National Cohort (GNC) and build the GNC biorepository.
- You will develop your own research portfolio based on your PhD experience in the areas of research of the institute
- You are eager to join existing and initiate new colaborations within and beyond the institute and the Helmholtz Zentrum Munich, nationally within the German National Cohort consortia and internationally by contributing with your specific expertise and methodolical profile
- You will have the oppotunity to make use of the HMGU core facilitiy protfolio including state of the art genomics, epigenomics, metabolomics, proteomics facilities, as well as the institute activities at the KORA study centre and aerosol measurements station
- You will have the opportunity to join German Centres for Health Research, and benefit from their respective resources and networks – Epidemiological research using German National Cohort and KORA Cohort data
- You will supervise master and PhD students and work in close interaction with data managers
- Excellent PhD in Epidemiology or related subject
- Excellent Track record in epidemiologic research
- Profound statistical expertise including state-of-the-art and innovative methods (such as causal inference or machine learning, or others)
- Experience with meta-analysis and / or large complex data-sets
- Passion for epidemiological research in multidisciplinary teams
At the Helmholtz Zentrum München, you can contribute together with leading researchers to the investigation of the development, prevention and treatment of environmental diseases such as diabetes, chronic lung diseases and allergies. In order to further promote your professional development, we offer extensive and targeted research training and career programmes. We support the reconciliation between work and private life with flexible working time models, occupational health management, day care facility for children, a childcare subsidy, Elder Care, as well as other counseling and support services.
Remuneration and benefits are in accordance with the collective agreement for the public service (TV EntgO Bund).
The position is (initially) limited to three years.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. In order to increase the proportion of women in management positions, we would be pleased to receive corresponding applications. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive online application until 17.02.2019.
Prof. Annette Peters
Telefon: 089 3187-4566
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Institute of Epidemiology
Gmunder Straße 37