The group of quantitative genomics, bioinformatics and computational biology (QBC) (Section of Statistics and Data Analysis) is looking for a highly talented postdoc for 24 months to mainly work in the externally funded research project, EliteOva (https://eliteova.ku.dk/), headed locally by Professor Haja Kadarmideen at DTU Compute and by the overall project leader, Professor Poul Hyttel, based at the Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (IVH) (https://ivh.ku.dk/english/) at the University of Copenhagen (KU).
The postdoc position will have a strong collaboration with the KU-IVH and be part of the working environment there as well as having close interactions with all EliteOva’s consortia partners.
Responsibilities and tasks
The postdoc will be expected to:
- Develop and conduct cutting-edge research in systems genomics, systems biology and bioinformatics in cattle with a focus on Cattle Artificial Reproduction Technology (ART) such as OPU-IVF and Embryo Transfer
- Analyse datasets based on multi-omics profiles (genomics, epigenomic and transcriptomics datasets that are array- and NGS-based) and integrate or associate with phenotypes generated by ART and at the farm from the EliteOVa project and possibly other related datasets in cattle.
- Collaborate with associated groups in EliteOva based in Canada/USA on epigenomics
- Write and publish research results via internationally peer-reviewed journals (3 papers in 24 months) and conference proceedings
- Actively disseminate the research results via seminars, workshops and conferences
- Advice, support and closely work with the QBC group’s MSc and PhD students.
- Participate in the development of bioinformatics and systems genomics software and analysis pipelines for big data (e.g. using R packages, Python, Perl, C++) in close cooperation with members of QBC group.
This job description is only an outline of the main tasks, but the jobholder will carry out any other duties that may be reasonably required.
Candidates should have a PhD degree combining genome-informatics, bioinformatics, computational biology or systems biology with animal biosciences with special emphasis on reproduction and embryotechnology.
The ideal candidate profile is a combined expertise of bioinformatics and molecular biology working on animal epigenetics / animal reproduction. Epigenomic, transcriptomic and genomic data analyses (e.g. RRBS, RNAseq, SNP array/genome sequence data) as well as integrative systems biology analyses will specifically be in focus.
In addition, we expect you to:
- Demonstrate good experience in working with large omics datasets under UNIX / LINUX (super)computing systems and competent in many programming languages including R
- Have a solid experience in working with software programs relevant for one or more of the following: transcriptomics or epigenomic data analyses based on NGS, general bioinformatics and systems genomics analysis tools
- Show evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Also International peer-reviewed journal publications in the relevant area is desirable.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The period of employment is for two years from April 1, 2019 (or as soon as possible there after). The workplace will be DTU Lyngby Campus. The position is a full-time position.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Haja Kadarmideen, email@example.com.
Furthermore, you can read more about the Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences at the University of Copenhagen here: https://ivh.ku.dk/english/
Please submit your online application no later than 8 February 2019(local time). To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form. The following must be attached in English:
- Application (cover / motivation letter)
- Diploma (MSc & PhD)
- List of publications
- List of teaching and supervision experience
- List of names and contact information for two or more referees
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Apply for this job
Apply no later than 8 February 2019
Apply for the job at DTU Compute by completing the following form.