The IMPRS-CellDevoSys is as international, structured PhD hosted at the MPI-CBG. It is part of the well-established Dresden International PhD Program (DIPP) which combines two powerful partners dedicated to first-class research and doctoral training: the IMPRS-CellDevoSys and the Dresden International Graduate School for Biomedicine and Bioengineering (DIGS-BB).
IMPRS Research Groups are excited about enthusiastic and courageous junior scientists who wish to join them for doctoral research. 20-25 new PhD students are annually accepted into our program. If you want to be one of them, apply now!
- Acquaint yourself with our research and featured open positions
- Make sure that you qualify and are passionate about doing research with us
- Ask 2 referees to support your application
- Complete the application form
- Submit once your referees have contributed their recommendation
- Expect a first assessment of your application about 4 weeks after submitting.
- Eligible applications are considered for online Admission Committee interviews.
- Passing the Admission Committee interview entitles for admission, pending one-to-one interviews with group leaders and mutual agreement of supervision placement.
- If successful, expect to start your PhD project between 8 weeks to 6 months after the first assessment.
Am I eligible for admission?
You are eligible for our IMPRS if you can answer all questions below with a clear “yes”:
- Do you hold, or anticipate receiving, a Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Physics, (Applied) Mathematics, or Engineering?*
- Are you specifically interested in contributing to the research performed by the research groups in our IMPRS?
- Are you driven by scientific curiosity and the ambition to shape the future of science?
- Can you prove truly excellent prior academic performance and research experience?
- Will you thrive in a highly competetive, interdisciplinary, international, and state-of-the-art environment?
- Are you enthusiastic, cooperative, and collegial?
- Can you demonstrate a high level of spoken and written English proficiency?
You are strongly advised to carefully evaluate yourself before preparing an application for our PhD program.
Previously affiliated applicants
Candidates previously affiliated with an IMPRS group may join this group for PhD thesis work if the previous affiliation did not exceed 12 months. Internal candidates must demonstrate outstanding performance and the highest potential in order to be invited for interviews. To avoid any favoritism or bias, group leaders associated with an internal candidate will not be involved in judging the candidate’s qualification for admission.
Applications are solely accepted via our online application system. Applications, or parts thereof, submitted by any other means cannot be considered. The process should be self-explanatory, but please review our FAQ if you have questions.
Step-by-Step Application Process
Request an account
Make sure that the email address you use will remain valid throughout the application process. You will receive access to the online application form immediately.
Here we ask for some personal background information, as well as contact details of two referees. Choose your referees carefully, in general they should be familiar with your research performance (we recommend including the principal investigator(s) who supervised your thesis work). We will automatically invite your referees via email to submit their recommendation online. Receipt of a recommendation will be confirmed via email, and stated in your application overview. Please be aware that receipt of two recommmendations is needed before you may submit your application (see step 4 below). If necessary, you may add up to two additional referees but we advise you to use this option only if needed.
Complete your application
Please make sure to provide concise and complete information in the application form and upload relevant University certificates and official transcripts. For ongoing studies, please provide the latest transcript documenting all results obtained to date. Furnishing of TOEFL/IELTS and GRE examination results is encouraged, but not mandatory. For your reference, generate a PDF file of your application.
Once your online application form is complete, and two recommendations have been received, you’ll be able to submit. You will receive an email confirming the successful submission of your application.