Tampere University (TUNI) offers fully funded positions in the area of Digital Design and Manufacturing (D2M). We are looking for candidates at doctoral and/or postdoctoral levels who have a suitable background and motivation to work on highly innovative projects and be trained in competitive yet collaborative research and study environments. The position requires a genuine interest in research and knowledge of advanced engineering design and manufacturing technologies. The candidate will need to research, develop, and apply modern engineering methodologies for integrated engineering design and manufacturing.
Research areas (RA): The research area is in Digital Design and Manufacturing (D2M) at TUNI. We do not expect that you are an expert in all these research areas, but your study record and personal interest need to relate to at least one RA, and you need to show interest to explore other RAs in your motivation letter.
- RA#1: Model-based numerical simulation and computational mechanics (e.g., Multiscale modelling, FEA, CFD, CAD, CAE, generative design, design automation, topology optimization…).
- RA#2: Data-driven modelling, Multi-Fidelity modelling, Surrogate modelling, optimization, mathematical modelling, and ML/AI applications in engineering design and manufacturing.
- RA#3: Manufacturing process robust optimization, design of experiments, Statistical process control, and manufacturing process modelling (e.g., Advanced manufacturing, Additive manufacturing, Powder bed-fusion, Direct Energy Deposition, Material Extrusion, hybrid machines and processes…).
- RA#4: Sustainable Manufacturing, LCA, Digital manufacturing, Industrial IoT, Sensing, and Monitoring (e.g., Green Digital Twins in design and manufacturing processes).
- RA#5: Mechatronic manufacturing system design. Sensor and process monitoring selection, development of control systems, data acquisition, and analytics for manufacturing process (e.g., Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing or other manufacturing processes).
- RA#6: Machine Learning Methods for the manufacturing process and trajectory optimization. (e.g., automatic path planning of arm robots or Cartesian machines, image classification in manufacturing processes for defect modelling including in-situ sensors and ex-situ characterization).
Essential Requirements (for Doctoral Researcher): The candidate should have an MSc degree in related subjects such as mechanical engineering, engineering design, machine design, material science, solid mechanics, computational mechanics or related complementary fields including computer science, electrical or automation engineering with an excellent academic track record.
Essential Requirements (for Postdoctoral Researcher): The candidate should have a PhD degree (or near PhD completion), knowledge and research experience and a solid publication track in relation to the described research areas.
Desired Requirements: Experience in applied mathematics using MATLAB, Python or Java or C++. Experience with finite element modelling of machines or products, fluid dynamics simulations, and manufacturing process optimization. Proficient in oral and written English and experience in academic publishing. Open-minded in multiple culture environments and international research community, good interpersonal skills, ability to supervise M.Sc. and PhD students (for the postdoc fellow applicants), the experience of participating in research projects (for the doctoral researcher applicants).
We offer: Doctoral Researcher’s position will be filled for a fixed-term period of 3 years after which there is possibility for one-year contract. For Postdoctoral Research Fellow, the position will be fixed-term period of 2 years. The preliminary planned starting date is early January 2022 or as mutually agreed. A trial period of six months applies to all our new employees.
The salary will be based on the job requirements and the employee’s performance following the Finnish University Salary System. The position of a Doctoral Researcher is placed on the job demand levels 2-4 and for Postdoctoral Research Fellow for the levels 5-6. A typical starting salary for a Doctoral Researcher is around 2400€ per month and for Postdoctoral Research Fellow around 3400€ per month.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible working hours, excellent sports facilities, and several on-campus restaurants and cafés with staff discounts. Please read more about working at Tampere University
Automation and Mechanical Engineering (ATME) is recognized as a leading-edge research area of Tampere University. We offer a world-class research environment in internationally recognized research groups. We have strong collaborative networks and offer great opportunities for researchers to develop their careers in an international setting.
How to apply: Please submit your application through our online recruitment system. The closing date for applications is 1.11.2021 (at 23.59 EET / UTC+2). Applications will be continually reviewed until the deadline. Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format.
Applications should include the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae following TENK guidelines (include contact information of two potential reference people and a list of publications, if applicable) )
- Motivation letter, including a preliminary overview of the described research areas (RAs) (Max. 2 pages):
- Introduce yourself and present your qualifications. Describe why you are interested in the position and why you should be selected (~1/2 page)
- Previous research fields/experience and main research results (~1/2 page)
- Future goals and research interests. Please clearly indicate your primary research area (RA) and links to other research areas (RA). (Are there any specific projects and research issues you are interested in? How can you contribute to the described RAs? What are the methods you will be implementing? Research examples? Ideas?) (~1 page)
- Applicants also need to:
- Provide undergraduate and postgraduate transcripts of records
- MSc or PhD degree certificate
- NOTE: For Doctoral Researchers at the point of your recruitment, you must submit evidence of your good command of the English language for academic purposes (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, C1 Advanced, …). Refer to the following link to evaluate language requirements.
For more information, please contact:
Please submit your application using the university’s electronic application form (a link can be found below this notice).
Tampereen yliopisto ja Tampereen ammattikorkeakoulu muodostavat yhdessä Suomen toiseksi suurimman monitieteisen, innostavan ja vaikuttavan tutkimus- ja oppimisyhteisön. Korkeakouluyhteisömme osaamiskärjet ovat tekniikka, terveys ja yhteiskunta. Lue lisää: www.tuni.fi
Tampereen yliopisto (TUNI) (https://www.tuni.fi) tarjoaa täysin rahoitettuja tehtäviä digitaalisen suunnittelun ja valmistuksen (D2M) alalla. Etsimme tohtori- ja/tai jatkotutkinnon suorittaneita ehdokkaita, joilla on sopiva tausta ja motivaatio työskennellä erittäin innovatiivisten hankkeiden parissa ja saada koulutusta kilpailukykyiseen mutta yhteistyöhön perustuvaan tutkimus- ja opiskeluympäristöön.
Tehtävä edellyttää aitoa kiinnostusta tutkimukseen ja tietämystä kehittyneestä suunnittelusta ja valmistustekniikoista. Ehdokkaan on tutkittava, kehitettävä ja sovellettava nykyaikaisia suunnittelumenetelmiä integroidulle suunnittelulle ja valmistukselle.
Lue tarkemmat tiedot tehtävästä ja hakuohjeet yllä olevasta englanninkielisestä ilmoituksesta. Jätäthän hakemuksesi yliopiston sähköisellä hakulomakkeella (linkki löytyy tämän ilmoituksen alta). Hakuaika tehtävään päättyy 1.11.2021 klo 23.59.Application period starts: 2021-09-30 14:30Application period ends: 2021-11-01 23:59