The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
MINE is one of six research groups within the Interdisciplinary Laboratory for Intelligent and Adaptive Systems (ILIAS), to which the AI RoboLab is also affiliated. MINE’s teaching and research activities relate to the applications of natural language processing, machine learning and data science in a multidisciplinary context such as arts and humanities, medicine, ethics or finance. MINE is involved in AI RoboLab, Esch2022 (esch2022.uni.lu; AI PhotoBooth with Deep Learning/HCI) and several doctoral training units such as Digital History and Hermeneutics (Word Embeddings/Massive Text Collections) and C21 with CISCO and Script.lu (Chatbots and Reinforcement Learning to foster collaboration between humans), among others. In addition, MINE organises lecture series in the field of Artificial Intelligence and also actively works on various services for the society.
What we expect from you…
We expect the applicant to be thematically embedded in the research infrastructure of MINE and to advance and develop an own or related research topic. The applicant should be team-oriented, open-minded, creative, and motivating. High-quality research is to be conducted and presented at workshops and conferences. Scientific papers have to be published in peer-reviewed international journals and work on project proposals to obtain external funding. The candidate contributes to the MINE’s teaching mission and student supervisions and supports the activities of the MINE group in a multidisciplinary context.
- A dynamic, well-connected international research environment combined with the opportunity for individual career development.
- An exceptional opportunity to become part of an innovative partnership between science and industry and gain access to state-of-the-art research facilities.
- Financial support for participating in scientific activities (workshops, conferences, summer schools, etc.)
- An attractive salary and an employment contract with social security and monthly meal vouchers.
- The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual university with an international character. It offers modern facilities and a personal atmosphere, to which students and colleagues from over 100 countries contribute.
- The University of Luxembourg is a member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR) and offers an excellent interface with industry and the labour market through its three interdisciplinary centres.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 30 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Starting date: March 2022
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04497
How to apply…
Applications in English should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter detailing why your profile, experience and research projects is suitable for the position
- Date and abstract of your PhD thesis
- A short description of your research interest (1-2 pages)
- Contact information of two independent references (we may contact them)
- List of publications
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
For more information about the job or living in Luxembourg, please contact Prof. Dr. Christoph Schommer (firstname.lastname@example.org)