The Department of Law of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance of the University of Luxembourg is looking for a Postdoctoral researcher in the INDIGO research project (www.project-indigo.eu).
- The post-doctoral researcher will be working within the Department of Law and is expected to contribute to research in the area of Law and Technology in the context of the INDIGO research project, financed by the Fonds National de Recherche du Luxembourg (FNR) in the context of the H2020 – NORFACE funding scheme (project-indigo.eu).
- We particularly encourage researchers with knowledge and experience in the transformative effects of information technology innovations in legal systems as well as with experience in regulation of technology in multi-level legal systems. We also invite researchers with a broader European law background and an interest in these research topics to apply.
- The main tasks include writing academic papers, participating actively in the life of the department (e.g. seminars, workshops), and, to a limited degree, contributing to teaching in the Department’s programmes.
- The post-doctoral researcher will be under the supervision of Professors Herwig Hofmann and Dirk Zetzsche.
- PhD degree in Law, with specialisation in either one of the following areas : European law, law and technology, legal questions of developing large scale data use, artificial intelligence and decision-making structures, regulation of technology within multi-level legal systems.
- Have the linguistic skills to evolve in a multilingual environment: fluency in English; good understanding of a second language and possibly a third language, French or German in particular, would be considered an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of and be able to autonomously conduct research at a post-doctoral level.
- Willingness to work in an inter-cultural and international environment.
- Curiosity and self-motivation.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Internal Title: Postdoctoral researcher/Research associate
- Job Reference: UOL04457 R-AGR-3840-10-C (to be mentioned in all correspondence)
In particular, we offer:
- Fully-funded position with a competitive salary.
- An exciting international and multilingual research environment.
- Personal work-space at the University (full-time contracts require the candidate to work at the University premises).
- Work at the Department of Law, a dynamic and striving community conducting cutting edge legal research and teaching.
How to apply…
Applications should be submitted online through the HR system and include:
- A detailed curriculum vitae with a complete bibliography of published works.
- A motivation letter with a description of research interests and plans for the coming two years (2 pages max).
- Copies of three research papers or a copy of the PhD Thesis.
- Three letters of recommendation.
We encourage early application. To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply by November 15th, 2021.
Please apply formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered. The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance offers three Bachelor programmes, four Master programmes of Management and Economics and six Masters of Laws (LL.M.), as well as several continuing education courses. It also includes the Doctoral School in Law and the Doctoral School in Economics and Finance. Around 2,500 students from 90 different nationalities are enrolled at the Faculty. Academic staff from 18 different nationalities teach at the Faculty, supported by practitioners from the field, visiting scholars and guest professors. Rooted in Luxembourg but with a European and international outlook, the Faculty counts three departments:
- Department of Law
- Department of Economics and Management (DEM)
- Department of Finance
Teaching and research benefit from the proximity of the European institutions, Luxembourg’s world-class financial centre ranked second in the world in investment fund asset domicile, and its vibrant business community. Institutional and private sector partnerships, sponsored Chairs, and a growing network of international partner universities make the FDEF a vibrant academic hub within the University at the heart of Europe.
- Find out more about the FDEF
- Find out more about the University
- Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University