German Egyptian Research Long-Term Scholarship Program (GERLS) • DAAD
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
Duration of the funding
The GERLS program will be administered by the DAAD in close cooperation with the MHESR and German universities. Generally speaking, the scholarships within this program are awarded for 12 months, subject to extension up to 42 months maximum.
- Full PhD. Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of academic studies except the following disciplines: fine & applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by a German university
Duration: up to 42 months maximum and not extendable
- “Channel” Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of study except the following disciplines: fine and applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by an Egyptian university
Duration: up to 24 months maximum and not extendable
For more information about channel regulations, please check the following link: Channel -guide for Applicants
The GERLS scholarship includes:
- Monthly basic scholarship of 1,000 Euros for Ph.D. candidates, plus individual surcharges and standard annual allowances
- A monthly family allowance if applicable
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- German language course and cultural preparation course
Such amounts are subject to change and will always be adapted according to the general regulations for DAAD scholarships.
Preparation Courses in Egypt and Germany:
- Each scholarship holder is entitled to receive German language and intercultural training in Egypt before the candidates’ travel to Germany. Distribution among language centers will be defined by the DAAD Cairo office.
- After the elapse of language course a unified final exam will be conducted at Goethe Institute Cairo/ Alexandria.
- The test fees of the language course participants are covered once by the DAAD. Any additional test trials will be covered by the scholar.
- A per diem will be provided to the scholarship holders according to the distance between the scholars’ home University/Institute and language course center.
- Scholarship holders are expected to arrange for their own health and liability insurance for these courses.
- Each scholarship holder will receive an intensive German language course in Germany. All scholarship holders are expected to achieve the B2 German language level.
- Failing in the language course will have consequences that will be borne by the scholarship holder.
- During the language course duration, the following aspects will be covered:
– The costs of accommodation.
– The costs of health, accident and liability insurances.
– Travel allowance from the language center to the host institution or university at the end of the language course in Germany.
– The return costs from the language course location to the host University /Institution for a preparatory visit may be paid.
The candidates will be selected in two rounds. First, a pre-selection procedure will identify the group of applicants to be invited for the second phase consisting of a personal interview with the GERLS bi-national independent interdisciplinary selection committee. Pre- and final selection of the candidates will be conducted according to, but not limited to following criteria:
- Excellent study achievements.
- Good command of languages: English language command is required, while German language command is a plus.
- Scientific merits, including:
– Quality of the proposal
– The benefit to Egypt
– Preparation and feasibility of the project
– Quality of the acceptance letter