SnT is a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
CritiX (Critical and Extreme Security and Dependability) is a research group, and a laboratory for state-of-the-art research in a problem area that may be described as extreme computing, including the protection of critical systems and data against severe and persistent threats. We advocate resilience as a paradigm shift enabling a comprehensive approach to extreme security and dependability challenges, from first principles. For further information you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Successful candidates will have the opportunity of shaping their PhD research around challenging and innovative research themes, as well as contributing to the ambitious research agenda of the CritiX lab. They will be given excellent conditions for the development of their research skills, in terms of working conditions, mentoring and laboratory facilities.
The research topics this opening is calling for are:
- Resilient Real-Time and Embedded Systems and Controllers
- Interplay between Resilience Mechanisms and Real-Time Scheduling
- Fault and Intrusion Tolerant Real-Time Operating Systems
- We welcome candidates with an MSc degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering, Informatics, or related areas in Applied Mathematics and Engineering.
- Strong course background in the theory and practice of Security and/or Fault Tolerance and/or Real-time systems will be considered as an advantage.
- We consider as an advantage, proven research experience (publications, awards and other relevant aspects included in the CV will be considered).
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory.
- We require commitment, team working and a critical mind.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 45 industry partners
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract , 3 years; extension possible for 1 more year if required
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Student and employee status
- Location: Belval
- Internal Title: Doctoral Researcher
- Job Reference: UOL03303
The University offers an appointment for 3 years; extension possible for 1 more year if required.
How to apply…
Applications, written in English should be submitted online and must include all of:
- Curriculum Vitae, including photo, your contact address, training record, work experience, publications (test results are optional but relevant, e.g., GRE, TOEFL; the same holds for your public projects, e.g., on github).
- Letter of intent (up to 500 words) including: (i) the personal motivations for applying to a PhD in the Univ. of Luxembourg SnT; (ii) the research topic(s) you select from the list above, in order of preference, together with your motivation for the selection.
- Transcript of all courses and results from the university-level courses taken. Copies allowed. Legal originals immediately required in case of selection.
Letters of reference are also extremely important in increasing the chances of success:
- TO BE SENT BY REFEREES DIRECTLY TO UL: letters of reference from three referees, sent directly to us, with contacts and position of person recommending, in plain ascii or pdf, emailed to: email@example.com, Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE.
We evaluate candidates as applications arrive. Early application is encouraged.
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further details, you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Email informal enquiries / expressions of interest:
Prof. Dr. Marcus Völp:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE