The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The post-doctoral researcher will participate to the activities of the PlaSprayNano project, which aims at the development and study of a plasma CVD process for the elaboration of Noble Metal-Metal Oxide nanohybrids. More specifically, this project is dedicated to the simultaneous synthesis of Au-TiO2 nanoparticles using an atmospheric pressure plasma torch fed with sprayed liquid precursors. Based on non-toxic chemicals, the potentiality of this process will be assessed by the synthesis of visible light photocatalytically active Au decorated TiO2 nanocomposites and their first evaluations as building blocks for energy and/or as virus inactivation surface.
The PlaSprayNano proposes, through a multidisciplinary approach, the determination of the kinetic growth mechanisms for metal and for oxide nanoparticles into a cold plasma jet. Tailoring the properties of both Au (plasmon resonance) and TiO2 (crystallinity, UV photoactivity) nanoparticles according to precursor spray (droplet size distribution) and plasma (gas mixture, power) parameters will allow a progress understanding in plasma/spray interactions and improvement of their functional properties. Finally, the simultaneous synthesis Au-TiO2 nanocomposites with optimized properties would be assessed and their visible-light photocatalytic properties will be evaluated.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a PhD degree in Materials Science or Physics. You also have prior research experience in the fields of nanoparticles synthesis and/or plasma processes.
On top of this, you’re highly motivated and strong team worker. You are fluent in English. You’re the one we’re looking for!NICE TO HAVE REQUIREMENTS
- Competencies in nanomaterials characterization, especially by TEM, will be a strong asset;
- Prior experiment in Computational Fluid Dynamics will be highly valuated;
- Demonstration of ability to carry out technological developments and/or to work in collaboration with mechanical engineers and technician will be considered as an asset.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.