General Support Services
We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. Attached to the EMBL are the Hotel ISG and three guest houses. The clientele is international. The Hotel ISG has approx. 100 beds, several conference rooms, banquet capacities for approx. 80 people, a restaurant with 80 seats, a beer garden, a wellness area and offers the service of a good middle-class hotel. The rooms are primarily available to EMBL guests and staff, but also to external seminar guests, business travellers, tourists and travel groups. In addition, EMBL operates three guest houses with a total of 82 flats of various sizes for its staff as well as for visitors to EMBL, students and doctoral candidates.
We are looking for a qualified and motivated manager to manage and organise the Hotel and the Guesthouses, including the management of the staff employed here.
General areas of responsibility:
- Management and implementation of all operational processes in the Hotel ISG and the guest houses
- Coordinating all departments in the hotel with the aim of achieving the highest possible satisfaction of all guests
- Quality standards and service levels of the hotel, the restaurant and the guesthouses
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety standards
- Planning and optimizing the utilization of the available resources
- Managing income/expenditure/budgets and reporting
- Following financial procedures and liaising with the finance department on, tracking invoices, payment requests, dunning procedures, lease, rental and service charge statements, cash balances and credit card statements
- Co-operation with various departments of the EMBL, especially with the Course & Conference Office, but also with the Director General Office, Canteen & Cafeteria, Facility Management, Purchasing, Finance and HR
- Responsible for pricing and associated price strategies under consideration of economic efficiency
- Responsible for the purchasing of consumables and services, in cooperation with the F&B Manager, responsible for purchases and calculations in the F&B area
- Responsible for obtaining quotations for major purchases, equipment, technical renovations, as well as processing
- Responsible for communication with the owners of the hotel and the guest house flats
- In close cooperation with the guest house administrator, responsible for the occupancy and utilisation of the guest houses including the organisation of services such as cleaning, repair and modernisation work
- Responsible for marketing strategies
- Your role involves supervising a team of 20 individuals employed by EMBL, and you will have the responsibility to provide necessary guidance and direction to these team members
- Responsible for the scheduling and deployment of staff – including those from external companies – in accordance with the occupancy rate
- Close cooperation with HR on contract changes, staff assignments, performance and development, promotions, recruitment and staffing
- Supervision and training of apprentices
This position reports to the Heidelberg Head of Operations & Administration.Apply now
Closing date: 8 October 2023
- Contract duration: 5 years
- Grading: 6; depending on qualifications and experience (monthly salary starting from 4.3k EUR after tax + other paid benefits)
- Reference number: HD02459
- A completed degree in hotel management or equivalent as well as at least five years of professional experience in the hotel industry are required
- Outstanding organisational skills in all operational processes with a strong sense of responsibility for cost development
- Experienced staff manager with strong proven leadership skills
- Very good German and English language skills are required
- Well developed business acumen and experienced contract manager
- Strong negotiation skills
- The hospitality industry requires extreme resilience; even in stressful situations, the job holder will not loose smile and overview and will remain confident, attentive, friendly and courteous towards the guests
- As our ideal candidate, you will be a fair and communicative manager to the staff, who acts decisively and leads the international team to success
- Honesty and loyalty towards your employer are indispensable
You might also have
The weekly working hours are 39 hours. There is no fixed schedule of working hours as the post holder will be expected to be present at the hotel for events or special occasions and to carry out the necessary supervisory and control duties. Therefore, the actual working hours are at the discretion of the job holder according to the requirements of running the houses and sometimes exceed the 39 hours in a week.
Why join us
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As an inclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches. We are, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation.
EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary and social security benefits, financial support for relocation, a relaxed culture, professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and other staff facilities make EMBL a great place to work.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review, up to a maximum of 9 years.