The Biomedical Laser and Optics Group (BLOG) has recently been granted with an Innosuisse project for three years. The principal aim of this project, called LASER-Blade is the development of a high-speed laser blade for cutting bone. The successful PhD candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary team of biomedical, mechatronics engineers, computer scientists, physicists, and medical doctors. He or she will be able to contribute to developing a disruptive technology in robotic surgery.
In this project, the Ph.D. candidate will develop a fully fiber-based miniaturized laser resection tool.
- University master’s degree in biomedical engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or closely related fields,
- Excellent Master’s and Bachelor’s grades,
- Ability to assemble optical, electrical, and mechanical instruments,
- Programming skills (e.g. MATLAB, Python),
- Ability to work in a highly international team,
- High motivation to work with lasers and its biomedical applications,
- Experience with optical design is a plus,
- Experience with high-energy lasers is a plus,
- Experience with fibers is a plus,
- Experience in working with micro-optical systems is a plus,
- Experience in fiber processing is a plus,
- Applicants are expected to have excellent language skills in English.
We offer you
- Opportunity to work on a highly innovative project within a highly interdisciplinary environment (up to 50 researchers)
- Enrolment in an established 3-year PhD program (with 1-year possible extension) in Biomedical Engineering (in English)
- The salary is very competitive by international standards and will be according to the guidelines of the University of Basel. Five weeks of holidays per year, 42 working hours per week
- Basel is an international city on the Rhine River northwest of Switzerland. Located where the Swiss, French and German borders meet.
Application / Contact
Applicants are requested to submit their documentation electronically as a “single PDF file named with the applicant’s name” by email with the subject „PhD Student Application: Position LA“.
This document should include your letter of motivation, CV, publication list and other academic information, TOEFL and/or IETLS scores if available as well as the full address/phone number/email of up to three references. Please send your application before Dec 10, 2023.
For applications and questions please send the documents to Dr. Arsham Hamidi firstname.lastname@example.org.