The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is a world leader in scientific research and at the forefront in the development of cutting-edge technologies and services to the scientific community. EMBL’s headquarter is located in Heidelberg, Germany. The Science Education and Public Engagement office of EMBL leads and coordinates the institute’s science education programmes and public engagement efforts. Our activities are open to European school science teachers, to young people of all backgrounds aged between 10 and 19 years, and to diverse public audiences. The office is part of EMBL‘s International Centre for Advanced Training (EICAT).
As part of EMBL’s science education and public engagement efforts, the Laboratory opened the permanent exhibition ‘The World of Molecular Biology’ on the Heidelberg campus in 2023. The exhibition offers access for the public through pre-booked guided tours in German and English, as well as a programme for schools.
To support our bi-lingual exhibition, the Science Education Team is looking to recruit a highly motivated and well-organised Programme Assistant to join us at the EMBL in Heidelberg, Germany. The Programme Assistant will report to the Science Education Team Lead and will work closely with the Education and Exhibition Officer, the Exhibition Manager, the Science Education team and with others in the Science Education and Public Engagement office.
• Supporting the organisation of events as part of the exhibition programme of ‘The World of Molecular Biology’ exhibition, including event logistics.
• Supporting the delivery of exhibition tours and workshops.
• Promoting the programme in Germany and European countries, including supporting production and dissemination of digital and print communications and event marketing material.
• Liaising with schools and out-of-school programmes from Germany and European countries, including handling of enquiries in German and English.
• Managing the event registration database and the programme website.
• Translating educational content from English into German.
• Organising meetings, maintaining databases, preparing presentations and reports as necessary.
• Administrative tasks to support EMBL’s portfolio of Science Education and Public Engagement activities.Apply now
Closing date: 26 September 2023
- Contract duration: 12 months
- Grading: 3-4
- Reference number: HD02449
• Completed a university degree or “Berufsausbildung“
• 1-3 years professional experience in a role relevant to the position (e.g. event management, administrative support or similar).
• Experience in supporting event organisation and/or event marketing
• Affinity for using digital communications and marketing tools
• Proven organisation and problem-solving skills
• Ability to successfully work in a small team whose success depends on highly integrated team work
• Effective communication skills and enjoy engaging with others
• A service-oriented, friendly nature and a can-do attitude
• Excellent command of written and spoken German and English
You might also have
• Qualification in event management, marketing or the museum field
• Experience in working with schools, young learners, and teachers
• Experience working in a cultural organisation, or an academic or international environment
• An interest in the life sciences.
Why join us
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As aninclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches. We are, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. We encourage applications from individuals who can complement our existing team – we believe that success is built on having teams whose backgrounds and personal experiences reflect the diversity of the populations that our science serves.
We actively encourage applications from all genders and cultures, ethnic groups and all demographics to help us avoid perpetuating biases and oversights at this transformational point in our people strategy. EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary and social security benefits, financial support for relocation, a relaxed culture, professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and other staff facilities make EMBL a great place to work.
**Don’t meet every single requirement? We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.
What else you need to know
What else you need to know We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review. If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter. Learn more about EMBL’s science education and public engagement activities: https://www.embl.org/about/science-education-public-engagement/